These poems are text exemplars as listed by the ELA Common Core standards for grades 4-5. I have also included some poems from grades 2-3 that are easier to allow for differentiation.
• Who Has Seen the Wind? by Christina Rossetti
• Clouds by Christina Rossetti
• Fog by Carl Sandburg
• The Sky is Low by Emily Dickinson
• Dust of Snow by Robert Frost
• A Bird came down the Walk by Emily Dickinson
• They Were My People by Grace Nichols
• The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus
I used these in class to practice visualization and making connection comprehension strategies.
In order for the students to determine the meaning of a poem, they are asked to visualize and then make a text to self, text to text or text to world connection.
These comprehension strategies have already been taught, but I included the Making Connections worksheet I use in small group with their reading selections.
These pages can be used in whole group guided reading, small group or in reading work stations.
Please rate my work.
Clip art from http://www.mycutegraphics.com