This group of pieces grew out of the need to provide something of a challenge for a group of students who were ahead of the rest of the class. Initially written as a Recorder Trio, it has been adapted for Recorder Duet and, here, for solo recorder with piano.
The whole suite starts simply and then become progressively more challenging with each movement, however, always remaining simple enough for beginning to intermediate players to enjoy. It uses the white notes from D to D with an occasional F#.
Some of the pieces have some introductory bars (measures) to act as an introduction, so if the the soloist is playing along to an MP3, they can get the timing and the correct place to start.
If played with a live pianist I recommend you drop these introductions as the pieces sound a lot better without them.
The PREVIEW file is the first 30 seconds or so of each piece.
The six pieces are:
1. "The Choir" just uses half and whole notes and their equivalent rests, this allows the students to get the feel for playing sustaining notes and making a good sound.
2. "Raindrops" introduces quarter notes and helps develop a good staccato style, so bringing those raindrops to life.
3. "The King’s Arrival" introduces eighth notes.
4. "Pipers Calling" introduces legato, develops counting skills and interweaving lines of music.
5. "The Haunted House" has strange, atmospheric harmonies and has a sense of a spooky yet fun drama.
6. "Lullaby" is a gentle work, teaching smoothness and phrasing and uses many of the techniques found in the previous movements.
Each movement works well individually or performed together in sequence as a complete work.
Included in the pack:
* MP3s with the recorder playing the melody (Which is a great help while learning the piece)
* MP3s of just the piano part (Ideal for performance track use, if a live piano is not available)
* PDF of the Full Score
* PDF of the Recorder part
The piano part is easy to play and could even be managed by another student.
If you need anything arranged from this work, or just perhaps something new, please do not hesitate to contact us
This is just one of many works I’ve written for children and adults alike. If you would like something written for you, then I am always also open to composing with any ideas that you have.