What will school be like in the future? What will students learn? How will they get to school? Get your students' creativity flowing as they imagine their dream school of the future!
This is a fun activity that I do with my students at the beginning of the school year, but it could be used effectively at other points in the year as well.
Here’s what’s included in this project pack:
• Student Assignment Checklist: This sheet is designed to be given directly to students. It outlines the purpose of the project and gives them a checklist of steps to follow to successfully complete the task.
• Future School Brainstorming Sheet: This sheet provides students with a space to start gathering their ideas about what their dream school of the future would be like.
• My Future School Looks Like...Illustration Page: This sheet allows students to create a visual representation of their ideas.
• In the Future, School Will...Writing Pages: These pages (one featuring a header with the project title and another with full-paged writing lines) are where students write about their visions. The full sheet of lined paper can be copied for students who need additional space (many students have a lot to say about their dream schools!)
• Assignment Rubric (2 Versions): The first version of the assignment rubric includes the criteria that I use to assess this project with my second graders. A second version allows you to write in your own criteria if you would like to assess the project differently. When I use this rubric, I tend to have students self-evaluate by coloring in one of the four boxes (emerging, partially proficient, proficient, or advanced) for each of the criteria. I then put my feedback in the comment sections. It can be utilized in other ways as you see fit.