Immigration is an amazing subject to study and students LOVE this project! The scope of this classroom-tested, fabulous integrated immigration simulation covers myriad curriculum areas, and is terrific fun for students to collaboratively complete! Additionally, they apply concepts introduced during a study of immigration in an interesting, thought-provoking way.
Math, History, Geography, Reading and Writing skills are all integrated in a content-rich curriculum, reinforcing skills in a real-world manner. Students collaborate in 'family' groups, to create roles, determine why they are coming, plan their route, use a map scale to calculate their mileage, and use various formulas to determine the duration of the journey ticket and meal expenses. Additionally, they familiarize themselves with world geography and journal about their simulated experience. Students create a family story collaboratively, but share the experience from the perspective of their particular character in the family. A final presentation allows them to share their family's experience with others.
* About the Unit Overview
* Teacher Tips section
* EIGHT 27-page CLASSROOM READY Cooperative Student Activity Books for eight different countries, historical perspectives and time periods:
* China - 1865 (Transcontinental Railroad)
* El Salvador - 1985 (Civil War)
* Germany - 1936 (Anti-Semitism, pre-Holocaust)
* Austro-Hungarian Empire - 1897 (Economic Opportunities in U.S.)
* Russia - 1904 (Pogroms)
* Vietnam - 1975 (Vietnam War / Fall of Saigon)
* Ivory Coast - 1735 (Slavery)
* Ireland - 1846 (Irish Potato Famine)
* As a bonus, you will also get a Powerpoint presentation framework for cooperative groups to embellish and fill in for a final culminating presentation.
Please check out my preview for an example of a full 27-page Student Activity Book.
This activity will enrich and reinforce any study of immigration!
Check out my store for other great products on Immigration!