Included in this download: complete lesson plan, two worksheets (with key) and a mini quiz.
• Ask your students if they would ever think about moving and living somewhere else? Follow this up by asking them where and why? Explain to them that there are two factors involved in their decision. Are they attracted to a different location or is there something unlikable about where they presently live?
• Introduce the terms immigrate, emigrate, and push/pull factors.
• Distribute Push/Pull Worksheet and read the historical context to your students. Ask your students to work with a partner, read each example, and evaluate whether or not it is an example of a “push” or “pull” factor.
• Discuss each example and provide further background information.
o You may use my Immigration power-point presentation slides 1-16. (on this site)
• Analyze the U.S. Immigration Chart on the back of the handout. Direct the students to answer the questions about the chart. Introduce or reteach the concept of trends.
• For the closure activity, discuss the answers to the questions and probe their opinions about what the best reasons were to come to the United States [Evaluate the “pulls”].
Included is a mini two-question quiz!