Immigration in the 21st Century
Document Based Question
• What has America’s policy towards immigration been in the 21st century?
• And Which plans and actions do you agree with?
• Who decides who belongs? And How?
Immigration has played an important role in American history, and the United States continues to have the most open immigration policy in the world. Before the era of rapid communications and transportation, America encouraged relatively open immigration to settle its empty lands. After certain states passed immigration laws following the Civil War, the Supreme Court in 1875 declared the regulation of immigration a federal responsibility. The Immigration Service was established in 1891 to deal with the big increase in immigration which started in 1880.
Since that time, we have had many laws put in place to not only allow immigrants to come into the United States, but we have also created laws to limit certain immigrant groups.
Today, in the 21st century, immigration is still a State and Federal concern, and the number of undocumented immigrants is high.
It if your task to look at 21st century politics and discuss
1) Is the United States creating an act to help immigrants or to limit immigration? Explain
2) ) Do you agree with the act/ decision by the United States? Why?
Note- Take into account of who the President is during the time period, and that President’s political affiliation
o George Bush (Jr.) 2001-2009
o Barack Obama 2009-2016
o Donald Trump 2016-Present (this was created Sept. 2017)
3) Write a short paper about immigration in the 21st century- relating to the essential question
Documents are all cited and taken from: https://immigration.procon.org/view.timeline.php?timelineID=000023#2000-present