The following is a two-day (75 minute period), common core-based worksheet/lesson plan on the impact of Spanish Conquest in the Americas. The worksheet focuses on the decline in Native American population due to disease and the encomienda system, the attempt to save the Natives by Bartolomeo de las Casas, and the beginning of the African slave trade.
• Secondary source reading about the encomienda system – followed by questions.
• Primary source reading from las Casas followed by several critical thinking questions.
• Primary source reading from Olaudah Equiano – with questions
• Video clip from Amistad (not included – but available on youtube) – several questions follow perfect for discussion.
• Answer the aim – effects of the Age of Exploration
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answers.
This lesson can easily be modified for a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments/concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications for newly posted products. Please rate this worksheet/lesson if you are able to. Thanks!
I also offer this worksheet bundled with two others from the Age of Exploration...
Bundle #8 - Age of Exploration - Global/World History Common Core