Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This unit follows the NYS Global curriculum. A separate PPT can be purchased that doubles as an answer key and a method of presentation for students. This packet can be purchased in a bundle with the corresponding PPT, two CRQ sets and unit test.
**IN ADDITION TO THE STUDENT MATERIALS, THIS PACKET INCLUDES A FULL STATIONS GROUP ACTIVITY COVERING THE BRITISH IN INDIA**
19 pages cover the following:
Pages 1-12: Student Packet that covers material for the entire unit
· Page 1: Unit Outline with historical and geographic context
· Page 2-3: “Causes of the New Imperialism”—covers the role of the Industrial Revolution, new innovations, and Social Darwinism
· Page 4: “Analyzing Historical Perspectives: White Man vs Black Man’s Burden
· Page 5-7: “The British in India”—covers the British East India Company and a document stations activity analyzing the positive and negatives of British Rule in India
· Page 8: “The European Scramble for Africa”—covers the Berlin Conference, map analysis, rubber in the Congo and the Natives’ Land Act in South Africa
· Page 9: “China Confronts the West”: covers the Opium War, Treaty of Nanjing and Spheres of Influence
· Page 10: “The Response to Imperialism”: covers the Sepoy Rebellion, Zulu resistance, the Taiping Rebellion and the Boxer Rebellion
· Page 11-12: “the Meiji Restoration”—covers Tokugawa Isolation, Matthew Perry and the Treaty of Kanagawa and a stations activity covering the social/economic/political effects of the Meiji Restoration
Page 13: Appendix for teachers with resources needed to complete the packet
Page 14-19: Five Stations for the British in India stations activity