PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Tired of students using the same words in their writing - or worse - plugging in random words from the thesaurus? These activities were made for secondary students who need to stop overusing the same words and improve their overall writing structure.
Students will brainstorm words, elaborate with and without a thesaurus, define words, and compile a personalized list that includes the denotative and connotative meanings. Your students will have practical ideas to implement in their writing immediately.
This product includes three ways to improve student writing. Feel free to use these for the entire class, for student choice, or with stations:
ACTIVITY ONE: students taking ownership of vocabulary
* A poster that covers proper thesaurus use (see thumbnails for pictures).
* A word chart for final word choices and their definitions/ connotative meanings.
* Reflecting prompt and writing page.
* A sample of the activity with over twenty similar words and their definitions.
ACTIVITY TWO: common structure errors
* A poster that covers Dos and Don'ts of writing - formal language, limited qualifiers, and such (see thumbnails for pictures).
* A sheet with examples of the common structural problems for students.
* A guiding sheet for teachers for discussion.
ACTIVITY THREE: improve verbs
* A small paragraph with weak verbs - and instructions for students to rewrite it.
* An answer key.
Because I stress with these activities that students should take ownership of their writing, I included a writing process sheet. I use this to emphasize that each student must develop their own ways of writing.
Please see the lesson plan in the preview. It takes teachers step by step through the process and includes final reflections, methods to differentiate, and possible discussion starters.
This product was updated JULY 2017 with additional activities. If you have purchased it previously, please download this bundle again for your free updates.
This product and all of the following are in a money-saving bundle: