Get Young Writers Writing Correctly From the Start!
Use the activities in this resource to introduce basic writing skills, and use the independent practice pages to reinforce and support these new skills. Activities focus on essential writing components and feature coordinating mini charts with suggested vocabulary or writing strategies. The activities are divided into sections based on the writing concept being taught and include whole-class, small-group, partner, and independent practice pages.
Written by educator Alaska Hults, the activities and practice pages show students how to accomplish the following tasks:
• identify sentence fragments and revise them into complete sentences
• identify and correctly use nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs
• choose the appropriate spelling for homonyms (homophones) based on a given meaning
• identify and correct misspelled words in their own writing
• recognize and correctly use punctuation
• determine when a word should be capitalized
• choose clear, specific vocabulary to express ideas