Improving Sentence Style QR Codes Task Cards → Editable files!
Working on style with your students? Use this activity to help students improve their style in a piece of writing. This set of task cards provides a fun and interactive revision opportunity for your students. Students will use their cell phones or tablets to scan QR codes linking them to videos and webpages to respond to specific tasks and record their learning on an answer sheet.
To use this activity successfully, you will need to be sure that each student—or pair of students—has a mobile device. Students will also need a QR code reader app installed on their mobile device. Finally, students will need headphones or earbuds. Make one set of task cards for each group of 3-4 students, and be sure to cut the task cards out. Copy an answer sheet for each student.
This is a great activity for AP students working on a college essay or another piece of prepared writing. Students can work at their own pace, record their learning, and make changes to their essay as they work through the task cards. While the students are working, you can circulate and help students as needed.
The concepts covered in this set of task cards include the following:
• Sentence length variety
• Loose, balanced, parallel, periodic sentences
• Determining average sentence length
• Simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences
• Eliminating weak verbs
• Adding parallel constructions
• Varying sentence beginnings
• Editing for correct comma usage
• Adding semicolons, dashes, and inverted sentences
• Eliminating wordiness
• Eliminating “plague” words
• Eliminating weak sentence beginnings
• Adding figurative language
• Adding sensory language
• Adding repetition for effect
• Improving verbs
• And more!
I hope you and your students enjoy this highly interactive activity! My students loved it!