The presidential election is coming up. This unit is a great way to use the election as an opportunity to teach Common-Core based skills.
In "In Their Own Words," students work in groups to make character and personality inferences based on quotations from Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. Each student in the group has a clearly defined role assignment, so everyone will be actively engaged in the activity. After the group activity, students will build on the inferences they made with their groups by writing a comparison essay about similarities and differences between the two candidates.
This download includes...
* Full daily lesson plans for the entire unit (everything is ready to go right out of the box!)
* A PREZI media presentation that introduces the activity and gives background information about the candidates
* Printable handouts of quotations from Obama and Romney
* An overhead of Group Roles
* A Scribe worksheet
* Complete materials for the comparison essay, including pre-writing materials and grading rubrics
This unit should take about a week of class time--the perfect activity for the days leading up to the 2012 election.
The unit files will come in well-designed, ready-to-use PDF files. And remember that you need Flash Player installed to view the PREZI presentation.
Created by Arik Durfee