A two-week literacy unit of poetry planning for Years 5 and 6, based on performing poems with darkened or changing moods, and built around the new curriculum literacy objectives.
In this unit, pupils will read and listen to the dramatic poems 'The Bells' and 'The Raven' by Edgar Allan Poe, and they will consider how the poet uses a range of devices to darken the mood of the poems. Children will work towards creating their own poems with darkened moods and performing them aloud.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to classic lyric and narrative poems being read aloud
• To identify different poetic devices and to explain their effects
• To research the literary influences of classic poetry
• To prepare and perform a poem to an audience
• To identify devices that lighten or darken the mood of a poem
The PDF file contains 10 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poems and all accompanying pupil resources.