A book a week: In The Garden by Roderick Hunt (An Oxford Owl free ebook - great for interactive whiteboards)
Read the book daily for a week and complete a activity a day - oh so simple!
3 Stretchy Snake posters with story words – print these off. I typically do these Day 1, 3 and 5 before reading the book. Use these posters to model the reading strategy of ‘stretchy snake’ ie sounding or stretching words out.
1. PRE-READING Brainstorm (5 senses) – students write or draw what they expect to see in a garden.
2. Recall/Matchup/Sequencing – students cut and paste story events in the correct order. Short on time? Have students colour code instead!
3. Multiple Choice Comprehension
4. Word Work– students match words to make story compound words, change letters to make new words and find base words in story words.
5. Cloze comprehension– two options available. One for practising conjunctions and the other a normal cloze.
6. Sort the adjectives sheet.
7. Word Search
9. Suggestions for Art/Craft/Writing/Oral Language
All activities were created with mid to late Year 1/Grade 1 to Year 2
Prefer a different font? Just ask.. if I can, I will!
Come find me on Facebook - just search for "Miss Simplicity's Classroom"