This unit contains, several worksheets questions, tables and notes. It is full in that it is everything I've used this year in teaching it.
O'Brien's ability to establish mood and mystery, and to use a non linear narrative to explore ideas is best shown in this novel - a novel my students are still arguing about...
What happened to Kathy? :)
Included in this zip file are:
- Historical background reading notes
- Context and history questions
- Setting questions and tasks
- Narrative point of view questions
- Recurring theme/motif/symbol questions
- Plot summary activity
- Structure activities
- Setting table
- Basic comprehension test
- Extensive chapter questions
- Several character analysis tasks on John, Kathy and the minor characters
- Detailed key quote analysis table (three pages worth)
- Key quote list
- Extension/reading test
- Extension/short answer questions
- Key symbols questions
- Theme study notes
- Theme study analysis quote table
- Sample essay questions
- Sample essay response
- Essay scaffold
- Essay criteria/rubric (two different types as Word documents, so you can change them to suit your school or individual needs)
Hope it works for you as it worked for me.
PS. Also included are the standard Raven Hall assessment sheets, as MS Word documents so you can change them easily. These have generic place holder names (for school name, novel/text name and author, and assessment title, for example) to demonstrate the formatting. Delete these and insert the relevant information for your school. The aspects to change for updating are in red.