Adapted from Audrey Woods book the Napping House
This unit contains 3 emergent readers to meet the needs of your young readers. Each reader comes in a colored full size for your classroom library or for a shared reading experience. In addition, the reader comes in a smaller black and white student reader for small group guided reading activities. Your students will love reading this story to their family and fellow classmates.
You can increase your students' literacy and math skills by using the follow-up activities that are great for independent work time, centers and workshop time.
Most of these activities require NO PREP and are ready to use in your classroom tomorrow.
1. In the Napping House (level 1) emergent reader: black-line and larger colored version
2. In the Napping House (level 2) emergent reader: black-line and larger colored version
3. In the Napping House (level 3) emergent reader: black-line and larger colored version
1. Napping House Event Sequence- match pictures to a given event
2. Story Elements: Who? Where? What?
3. Story Retell
4. Syllable Sort: 1 or 2 syllables – colored and black-line versions
1 syllable – bed, cat, flea, house, dog
2 syllables – granny, sunshine, sleeping, moonlight, awake
5. –at Real vs. Nonsense Word Sort
6. Sequence and Retell – colored and black-line versions
7. In the Napping House Label – student and teacher versions, colored and black-line
8. Simple Sentence Match – 2 versions
9. One Page Sight Word Stories
a. Who is Sleeping? Student and pocket chart versions
b. What Rhymes?
mouse/house, bread/bed, toy/boy, flea/bee, frog/dog
c. Wake up!
10. Building Words: student and center versions
11. Beginning Sounds
12. Making Words: Napping House
13. Build a Sentence
a. This is the napping house.
b. This is my house.
1. Number Sequence 1-20
2. Counting On: 1-10 and 11-19
3 Missing Numbers up to 30
4. 1 Less/ 1 More 1-12
5. Greater than/Less than Sorts: 5 and 10, student black-line version and colored center version
6. How Many? Ten Frame versions – 1-10 and 11-20, student black-line version and colored center version
7. How Many? Base 10 versions – 1-10 and 11-20, student black-line version and colored center version