Reading Detectives are half-page sheets that students complete while doing independent reading. They help students focus on specific standards, and give them purpose to their reading. I have included 13 different ones here.
Abbreviations, Adjectives, Antonyms
Compound Words, Culture, Nouns
Predicting, Prefixes, Pronouns
Setting, Suffixes, Synonyms, Verbs
They have many uses:
• The students can bring their completed sheets, to share and discuss, during guided reading with the teacher.
• They can also be used as formative assessments.
• You can have students work on them independently, or work on them together in groups.
• You can have all students work on a specific standard being focused on during mini-lessons, or differentiate and give different students different sheets, based on their level and need.
• They will require a short mini-lesson on how to complete each sheet.
I am sending this as a Word document, so you can make changes, as needed.
My students have enjoyed these. I hope yours do too.