This independent reading resource for Kindergarten includes lesson plans and supplementary materials to support independent reading in your classroom!
These materials will help you teach routines and procedures for independent reading AND keep students engaged in independent reading throughout the school year!
These materials are flexible and can be used many different ways, regardless of how you structure independent work time in your classroom. Students do NOT have to know how to read in order to learn from and enjoy these activities!
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Teach your students to stay on task during independent reading time
- Get your students to try out strategies on their own
- Incorporate simple, quick drawing/writing activities to hold students accountable
- Keep students interested in the independent reading center and your classroom library throughout the school year
This resource may not be for you if:
- You are looking for lots of reading response activities or worksheets (During independent reading time, my students spend much more time actually reading than they do drawing or writing about text. I keep reading response as a separate center. If you are interested in reading response activities, please learn more about my reading response pack HERE!)
Here’s what’s included:
- 18 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for independent reading and the independent reading center
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your independent reading center activities throughout the year
- Kid-friendly directions cards to show students different options for reading (i.e. to a stuffed animal, into a whisper phone)
- 23 different bookmarks to help students talk about what they read and practice strategies (plus lesson plans and kid-friendly directions)
- 4 lesson plans to teach students how to draw and write on sticky notes as they read (plus kid-friendly directions to guide students in practicing 16 different skills/strategies)
- 9 different quick-response half sheets to have students draw and write about their reading (plus an introduction lesson plan and kid-friendly directions)
- 188 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for Kindergarten? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for Kindergarten HERE