As a classroom teacher, I believed that students should have time every day to read independently. As an elementary librarian, I am CERTAIN that they should have that time.
BUT … Does it drive you crazy when your kids pick up a different book every day for independent reading?? Have you ever seen a kid just open their book to a random page and just start reading?? Isn't it enough to drive you crazy??
Some may call it DEAR, some SSR. But regardless of its name, this product outlines a step by step approach to organizing your kids’ independent reading! This package is chock full of tremendous tools to support your program. Here's all that you get …
1) Clear set of step by step directions with frequently asked questions.
2) Parent letter (both in PDF and editable WORD)
3) Instructional Smartboard File for introduction to students
4) B&W and Colored posters that explain how to PICK a “Perfect Fit” book
5) Book Notes for Parents to complete when their child finishes a book at home
6) Bookmarks for students to track their reading
7) Reading Logs for students to track the books that they have read
8) TEN uniquely styled Reading Charts for display
9) Prize Posters (both in editable WORD and Open Office Draw)
10) Coupons for Free Library Period, No Homework, and Ice Cream
11) Independent Reading Folder Cover
12) Book Review Sheets for students to rate their books
All elements have a general theme with fun fairy tale characters.
This program can be used in a single classroom or school wide. As a librarian, I run this as a school wide reading program, and my teachers have very POSITIVE reactions to it. They find it easy to manage in the classroom and appreciate how it has made their students more accountable in their daily reading.
Looking for a different theme? Check these out!
The BASIC and FREE Independent Reading Program
Out of This World Space Theme