This Independent Reading Program
has been developed specifically for middle and high school students to meet one of the greatest challenges of independent reading programs --- getting students to keep reading.
During this Independent Reading Program students complete journal entries, participate in literature circles, conference with the teacher, respond creatively to the books they are reading, expand their vocabulary, and write a final essay. Each task included in the reading program serves to help students actively engage with their reading, reflect on their learning, and grow as learners.
Students will complete 22 assignments in the program:
- 4 Reader Response Journal Entries
- 5 Literature Circle Sessions
- 5 Debrief Reflections
- 1 Vocabulary Record Sheet
- 3 In-Class Reading Responses
- 3 Teacher Conferences
- 1 Final Essay
Duration: 5 Weeks
Grade Level: 6 - 12
Assessment: Rubrics and Score Record Sheets
Engagement Level: High!
- Teacher Guide: Implementation Guide, Program Elements, Overview, Evaluation Document Overview
- Student Packet: Program Overview, Reader Response Journal Prompts, Literature Circle Roles and Debrief, Vocabulary Overview and Record Sheet, In-Class Reading Response Activity Overview, Teacher Conference Overview and Preparation Sheet, Final Essay Overview, Topics, and Feedback Rubric
- In-Class Reading Response Activities: Alphabet Book, CD Cover, Circle Poster, Theme Poster, Timeline, Cubing, Letter Writing, Passage to Poetry
- Evaluation Documents: Score Record Sheet, Reader Response Rubric, In-Class Reading Response Activity Rubric, Final Essay Score Card
You may also like...
Independent Reading Program -
Upper Elementary - Middle School - 6 Weeks / 8 Assignments Designed for a Steno Notebook!
"The Highwayman" Unit
Poetry Analysis Unit
Persuasive Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction