This is a great independent reading project for summers or any time! Not at all your traditional book report, this project includes everything you need and covers reading, writing, critical thinking and response, analysis, and more! Additionally, with small alterations on your part, this project work well with other books that those suggested as well as with high school students.
Included in this product:
- Suggestions and instructions for the teacher
- Book lists for rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders (five books per grade)
- 15 reading-check style quizzes (one for each book on the reading list)
- Three-part project covering letter writing, character and plot analysis, and question writing and response
- Grading rubrics
- Suggested extra credit
***Keys for quizzes are not included as there are multiple acceptable answers for many questions.***
All portions are in PDF format.
I have personally assigned this project (or variations there of) for many years, making changes and improvements every year. Former students have commented that the format has helped them understand the book they read as well as create A+ projects in high school.
Book lists for each grade (students choose one book) are as follows:
- Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
- Jason’s Gold by Will Hobbs
- The Road To Paris by Nikki Grimes
- The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
- Crash by Jerry Spinelli
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
- The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman
- Redwall by Brian Jacques
- The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison
- Chicken Boy by Frances O’Roark Dowell
- And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
- The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
- Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
- Tangerine by Edward Bloor
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Once you have downloaded, looked over, and/or used this, please leave feedback! Thanks!
Looking for a great independent summer writing project? Check this out!
Something else for the end of the year: