Download includes both PDF and Word versions of this product. Feel free to edit this resource to fit the needs of your classroom.
Included in package…
1) Simple Independent Reading Rubric
I show this rubric to my students at the beginning of the year so they have clear expectations on what successful independent readers do in class:
- Take responsibility
- Bring a book/text every day
- Read at their appropriate level
- Get started right away when reading time begins
I find that my students are more successful with independent reading when we go over this rubric together as a group in September to generate an understanding on how we should all read as a team. Often my students approach me to ask where they are landing on the rubric scale (which is funny, because they're all so strong and mostly land at level 4 for their indep reading skills. Great kids!).
We also revisit the rubric every 6-8 weeks. I either have a quick rubric conference with each student, or I challenge them to read it over in pairs and make a realistic goal in the area they want to improve.
2) Reading Response Question Sheet
- Great for Junior/Intermediate/Senior grade
- 33 open-ended questions included
- Helpful for development of comprehension skills
- Works for any novel
*I provide a copy to each student and ask them to create one reading response every two weeks. We have been using this resource through the entire school year, and my students still love it!
3) Rubric for Reading Responses
- Helpful in showing your students how to continually develop their comprehension and response skills.