Do your students show weaknesses in responding to nonfiction text? Do they need more comprehension practice with self-selected nonfiction books?
The 12 page Independent Response to NonFiction is a study where your students will self select an independent nonfiction book to read and:
- Complete a KWL chart
- Summarize 3 main sections using topic sentences, detail sentences, and conclusion sentences
- Go on the hunt for Nonfiction text features such as the glossary, headings, sidebars, graphs, illustrations, charts, figurative language and much more!
- Make Text Connections (text to text, text to self, text to world)
- Identify the text structure and main message of the book
- Reflect on what they have read including listing information they the student questions the accuracy of and ponder other questions about the topic that they may have