Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Introduce your students to India in a fun, yet informative, way by map journaling. Learn about India's geography and how it shaped the country's history and diversity from its first settlers to ancient India through the Islamic invasions into the modern era and present day.
THERE IS NO PREP. However, to display, you may choose to glue finished maps on to construction paper and make construction paper pockets for “map key" booklets (optional). You can also fold and staple as is into interactive notebooks.
This lesson is meant to serve as a comprehensive introduction before you begin in-depth India studies. It gives students a great overview to facilitate improved retention for studying subsequent material.
This interactive lesson is presented in a slide show format with a mapping printable/handout to be completed as you present the lesson. Students will color in each icon as they learn about its meaning and significance in India’s history.
India! Map Journaling Geography & History Grades 4 - 8 includes the following:
1. Lesson file organized in 4 sections - Geography, Ancient History, Islam Arrives, and Modern History
2. Images file - to be shown as you read to students each step of the lesson file
3. Printable - a black and white map with pre-printed icons; for students to color in as lesson is presented
4. Instructions for making an easy "map key" mini accordion booklet
5. Printable for "map key" booklet - students will label each icon
6. Completed sample for "map key" booklet
The following subjects are covered in this lesson, in chronological order as occurring in history:
0. GEOGRAPHY AND THE MONSOON
1. The First Indians
2. Harappa, India's Ancient Civilization
3. The Vedic Age and Hinduism - includes an optional video link
6. The Chola Dynasty - includes an optional video link
7. The Mauryan Empire and Ashoka
8. The Spice Trade with Rome (Black Pepper, Gold)
9. The Gupta Empire and Aryabhata
10. The Islamic Invasions
11. The Mughals and the Taj Mahal
12. The Golconda Diamonds - includes an optional video link
14. The British (East India Company, British Raj)
15. Mahatma Gandhi
16. Partition of India
18. India Today (Mumbai, Bollywood) - includes an optional video link
SAMPLING OF KEY WORDS: monsoon, peninsula, Khyber Pass, Deccan Plateau, Himalayas, Indus River, Ganges River, Kerala, Harappa, Mohenjo-Daro, Aryans, Vedas, Hinduism, maya, karma, dharma, reincarnation, moksha, Brahman, Varna (caste system), Jainism, ahimsa, Gautama, Buddha, attachment, Dravidians, Bharatanatyam, Tamil, Rajaraja, Maurya, Ashoka, Kalinga, Chakra, Gupta, Aryabhata, infinity, zero, pi, black pepper, gold, Delhi Sultanate, Babur, gunpowder, Akbar, Shah Jahan, Hyderabad, diamonds, Sikhism, Guru Nanak, Five K’s, East India Company, British Raj, sepoy, Indian Mutiny, INC, Nehru, Gandhi, Partition, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Tryst with Destiny, New Delhi, Mumbai, Bollywood.
WANT MORE LESSONS ON INDIA?
1. TRY THIS LESSON AS PART OF A BUNDLE! GET THREE LESSONS IN ONE, ALL ON INDIA. Bundle includes a map journaling lesson on the history of India, a look at Diwali (India's Festival of Lights), and the History of Indian Spices.
2. OR, CHECK OUT OUR LESSONS THAT JUST LOOK AT SOUTHERN INDIA!
3. OR, TAKE A LOOK AT ALL OUR LESSONS FEATURING INDIA!
TESTIMONIALS ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS
"In my nearly 30-year career in education, I have never seen children so engaged in their learning! International Travel Academy is truly a multi-disciplinary approach that enables children to explore the world in an unforgettable way. Students get a real sense of what it means to respect another country's heritage, beliefs and ways of living, thus making them more tolerant and internationally-minded. I highly recommend this program to educators and parents wishing to make learning come to life!"
– A Former Assistant Superintendent at Atlanta Public Schools
“(The five-day program) has given our school the unique opportunity to provide students with incredible experiences that align so well with our IB focus. Each spring with family and community support, our school essentially is transformed into our country of study for one full week. Teachers are easily able to follow the daily curriculum and activities provided, and the students truly enjoy this special week of instruction. From the art projects to festive food tastings, cultural dress, music, dance and traditions, the students spend this entire week engaged in new and exciting experiences of a new country. I would encourage all schools (IB, or not) to jump in and make a week like this happen for their students. It is incredibly gratifying to spend this week with kids as they come together to learn and share experiences like these across grade levels, school-wide. When we hear such rich discussion in classrooms and read their detailed writing about what they've learned as part of (the) week, it makes all the preparation, planning and expense totally worth it!! “
– An International Baccalaureate Instructional Specialist at a local elementary school
Our lessons have been tried and tested for the past seven years. But, as we are new to TPT, we would love to get feedback from you! Please email us! Our personal emails are included in the lesson.
HOW TO GET TPT CREDIT ON FUTURE PURCHASES
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
This product is for personal classroom use by a single teacher. If you would like to copy this product for more than one teacher, please download additional licenses, available at 10% off the original price!
You cannot give this item to others, copy this item for use by others, post this item on a website, or copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
Please feel free to use as needed for your personal use, for your classroom, or to copy for your students. Of course, you may always purchase unlimited licenses for others to use at 10% off the original price.
From My Cool World