After 20 years of teaching spelling to my students, I have finally found the system that works perfectly for my students! I've paired an individualized spelling program with the word lists found in the Treasures Reading Series (2nd grade) to create a dynamic spelling experience for my students. Each word list has also been supplemented with a list of challenge words that are in the same word family, thus allowing more advanced spellers a chance to have their own words. This is a 36-week program that will take you through the entire school year!
Here's how the program works:
- Students take a pre-test each Friday on the following week's words
- Using the word list, the teacher and students select their 10 weekly words
- Students practice their words and the word family using activities from the Spelling Homework Contract
- Students take a post-test each Thursday to assess their proficiency with their individual list of words
Included in the set are 36 weeks worth of spelling words lists (each list has the 15 Treasures Reading pre-test words and 10 challenge words) that follow the progression of the Treasures Reading program for 2nd grade.
The set also includes:
- Spelling pre-test form
- Spelling post-test form
- Spelling homework contract
- Detailed instructions and suggested modifications
The set includes all word lists and forms in Word format, as well as a PDF package of the entire set. You can modify either to meet the needs of your students.
Once you try this spelling program out, you won't want to teach spelling any other way! :)
Please visit my TPT store at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/John-Blake-14/Products
You can find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Geaux.Teach.Online.Store
Follow me on Twitter @geauxteach (http://twitter.com/#!/geauxteach)
Copyright Geaux Teach Online Store. The purchasing teacher has permission to use these materials with his/her students only. You may not forward, copy, or otherwise transfer these materials to other individuals; these materials may not be stored on a network or shared drive for other teachers to use.