The greatest invention ignites innovation and new industry. However, each invention has its own unintended consequences.
Hook students by looking at the differences between invention vs. innovation. In teams students will be given personality cards of innovators inspired by big inventions of their day. The teams will create a new invention. The catch is...just like real life situations change and they will have to adapt those innovations as you proceed through the unit.
This unit includes:
1. Researched readings about inventors, and those they inspired. Along with checks for understanding and cut outs for students to reflect with interactive spirals.
2. Multiple comparison tools (for varied levels) that they can go back to throughout the unit. (Life pre-industrial revolution to post, and agrarian to the industrial revolution.)
3. 10 unique profile sheets (one for each team.) Each sheet tells the story of their person, who inspired them, and what their task is. Also included is a matrix of all the inventors, for your use and to monitor the team progress.
4. There are two ways that students can utilize charts and graphs through the unit, along with debriefing questions.
5. Integrate science skills with a history lab where students can measure and calculate the amount of cotton used and then reflect on the impact of their measurements.
6. Optional tools you can also you include: Vocabulary log, and annotation guide.
7. Researched readings on: Agrarian Industry, Steel industry, and Triangle Factory Fire. Each with processing task and questions.
8. Each day includes a unique closing task- Tweeting, Click bait titles, draw the meaning, or guided directions for creating a ThingLink.
9. And two super fun summative task that have students interact and apply their knowledge in their community.
If you enjoy my lesson please follow my store and receive updates and news of when I post products.
And if you would be so kind, please leave me a comment I love hearing how you use the lesson. Follow me for additional goodies.
My Facebook page