Also included in
- It’s absolutely essential to teach students how to read text, process what the passage says, and understand its meaning. One way to do just that is to help students learn about and develop reading comprehension skills like making inferences, finding the main idea, summarizing, sequencing and differ$21.99$24.95Save $2.96
- This bundle of Doodle and Do resources includes 11 units to help your students develop their skills as readers! Each resource includes highly engaging doodle notes that pair with skills-based activities to help students showcase their learning! About the 5 Reading Skills Mini-UnitsHere’s how the rea$53.99$62.89Save $8.90
Students often struggle with making inferences while reading. That’s because inferencing is a challenging skill! Help students develop their inferring skills with this incredibly fun and engaging mini-unit. It combines doodle notes where students sketch notes about how to make inferences AND actual learning activities to help students improve their reading comprehension skills. It’s fun and educational! First, students DOODLE and then they DO activities to help them showcase their learning!
Here’s how it works: First, students will complete highly engaging Doodle Notes about making inferences. They’ll learn what an inference is, how to make a logical inference, and even practice making inferences. Then, they’ll complete 5 activities to help them showcase their understanding of the reading skill. They’ll make inferences with a fun travel activity, doodle inferences, and read 3 different fiction and nonfiction reading passages.
This resource is completely customizable, too! First, the two types of doodle notes included (filled-in and guided notes versions) make it easy to differentiate instruction. Then, there are two instructional versions included in this resource! You can either put together a fun student packet with inferencing worksheets, or you can set up 5 learning stations. This way, you can create the very best learning experience for your students!
This 2-3 day mini-unit is not only effective in helping students understand how to make inferences while reading, it’s also incredibly engaging and fun!
Great News! This mini-unit is part of a Doodle and Do Reading Skills bundle! The bundle includes doodle notes and learning activities for Sequencing, Inferencing, Finding the Main Idea, Summarizing, and Fact and Opinion! Save big AND get students excited about reading with this Doodle and Do Reading Skills BUNDLE!
About the “Doodle” Notes:
First, students will learn how to make inferences by completing a set of doodle notes. Doodle notes are color-it-in, fill-it-in, and doodle-encouraging note sheets. They’re not only visually engaging, they’re also effective in helping students increase their focus and ability to recall information. Plus…they’re really fun! In this resource, there are 2 options of Doodle Notes:
- All the notes are filled in. With this option students will color, embellish, and add doodles to the notes as you review the information with the class.
- Some of the notes are filled in and students need to fill in the remainder of the notes (like guided notes). Students will work to fill in the notes as you teach the content.
About the “Do” Activities
After students complete their Doodle Notes it’s time for them to “Do” some fun activities. The activities are designed around lessons to help students practice the skill of inferencing. There are five activities in all:
- Students review travel itineraries and collect clues about the cities that are described. Then, they combine the clues with their own background knowledge to make an inference. This cut-and-paste activity is hands-on and fun!
- Students take the “doodle” theme a bit further as they doodle the contents of gift boxes based on inferences that they make from gift tag descriptions.
- Students read 3 different reading passage. Two passages are nonfiction. One passage is fiction. After reading each passage, students complete different tasks to make inferences.
This detailed “Doodle and Do” resource includes:
- A detailed teacher overview of the resource
- Lesson Plans – Instructional Option #1 – Gradual Release of Responsibility (student packets)
- Lesson Plans – Instructional Option #2 – Learning Stations
- Doodle Notes – Making Inferences (all filled-in)
- Doodle Notes – Making Inferences (guided notes)
- Passport – Travel itinerary shapes
- Travel Inferences (2 pages)
- Doodle an Inference
- 3 Reading Passages – 2 nonfiction, 1 fiction
- Learning Stations Cards (with student directions – to use if you choose to set up learning stations)
- All Instructional Keys
More resources for teaching how to make inferences…
Other Doodle and Do Resources…
- Finding the Main Idea - Doodle and Do
- 5 Nonfiction Text Structure Mini-Units
- How to Study for a Test Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
- Writing Responses with Text-Based Evidence Doodle Notes and 5 Learning Stations
Or, you may also like…
- Narrative Writing Unit
- Literary Devices Bundle - 6 fun mini-units: Conflict, Irony, Theme, Mood, Characterization, Flashbacks and Foreshadowing
- Figurative Language Unit
- Emergency Sub Plans - No copies needed!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction
Doodle notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more information.