In this lab, students find the infiltration rate of clay, gravel, sand, and soil.
Materials: empty plastic bottles, coffee filters, rubber bands, clay, gravel, sand, soil, timer, graduated cylinder
1) Cut off the top of the water bottle.
2) Secure a coffee filter onto the lid using a rubber band, and place it upside down in a graduated cylinder.
3) Fill the top of the bottle with clay, gravel, sand, or soil.
4) Then pour 100 mL of water into the top.
5) Measure the water level each minute for 5 minutes.