With the new Common Core standards, we teachers have to make more room for informational texts.
This bundle can be used in two different ways.
1) Use the two articles and their corresponding questions as stand alone lessons or activities. These work great as articles of the week. Both take approximately the same amount of time (40-45 minutes)
2) Use this bundle from top to bottom as a three day unit.
This bundle is perfectly aligned with Reading Informational Texts CCSS: 9-10.3. Included in the bundle are a pre-assessment, practice exercises, and a post-assessment.
A teacher's guide is included and keys are included.
Here is the breakdown:
1. Pre-Assessment: Students read an article on the legalization of marijuana in the U.S. and damage it could do to the Mexican economy; you may choose to read independently or as a class. Students then answer questions aligned with R.I. 9-10.3 either alone or with a partner. This takes about 40-45 minutes. **This can be used as a stand alone activity.
2. Next is a hand out of notes, breaking down standard R.I. 9-10.3 . The notes cover text structures on one side and text features on the other side. Both are nicely formatted into sleek looking graphs. It will take about 15-25 minutes to review these notes depending upon the level of your students.
3. Next is a series of practice exercises allowing students to practice the skills gained from notes. There are two exercises included; you may choose to do one or both. Partners are recommended for this step. This takes about 30-45 minutes.
4. Finally, is a post-assessment article. Students will read an opinion piece about starting school later and answer questions aligned to R.I. 9-10.3. This takes about 45 minutes.
All articles come from reputable sources such as NYTimes and The Week. Links are included.
All handouts are in ready to print PDF formats and include a sleek, modern design sure to keep teenagers' attention.
DETAILED ANSWER KEYS are included for all steps.
These would be great educational fillers or great substitute plans as well.