PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This informational text unit focuses on the Common Core Compare and Contrast Standards [RI.5.5, RI.5.6, and RI.6.9]. Choose between printable activities or go paperless with digital resources that are compatible with Google Classroom.
This resource is a companion piece to use with the novel Ghost Boys. Most articles cover topics about Chicago, the setting of the book. With the exception of one optional writing piece in Lesson 3, this unit can be completed independently from the book. Lesson 3 provides 5 writing variations to make the unit flexible. Because the articles were selected as a tie-in only, you could teach this unit in conjunction with the novel Ghost Boys or separate from it.
· Using a Venn Diagram
· Using a T-Chart
· Firsthand and Secondhand Accounts
· Organizing Information into an Outline to Write a Short One Page Essay Comparing 2 to 5 Related Accounts or Related Topics
· Three Methods for Writing a Compare Essay
Writing topics include:
· Comparing 2 or 3 Firsthand Accounts of the Great Chicago Fire
· Comparing First to Secondhand Accounts of the Great Chicago Fire
· Comparing 2 Secondhand Accounts of Police Shootings *Optional
· Comparing 2 Police Shootings - Nonfictional Account of Tamir Rice to Fictional Account of Jerome Rodgers from Ghost Boys *Optional
· Comparing Chicago in 1871 to Today
· Comparing the Top 2-3 Populous Cities in the US – New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago
· Comparing Various Topics Related to Chicago’s Professional Sports Teams
· Comparing Modes of Transportation in Chicago
· Comparing Facts and Myths about the Great Chicago Fire