This informational text comprehension product uses Ducks! by Gail Gibbons as read aloud text for beginning readers. Because beginning readers have a rich speaking and listening vocabulary including much more difficult concepts and vocabulary than the material they are reading at their instructional level, teachers can scaffold the learning of comprehension skills and strategies by providing engaging guided lessons with the material in this product. Components of this product include:
• 10 vocabulary words (not content related)
• 3 vocabulary activities (fill in the blank, using the words in context, and analogies)
• 3 general text comprehension worksheets differentiated with a multiple choice activity and 2 question/answer activities with varying critical thinking skills required
• 2 critical thinking activities – choose “all” or “some” ducks to complete sentences. The 2nd sheet includes the same statements, but requires page numbers as text evidence for each answer
• 2 cause/effect activities – students match cause/effect phrases using information from the book- the first sheet has a cause or effect listed and the matching phrase needs to be found. The 2nd sheet requires matching all of the cause/effect relationships without a “match” being given.
• 1 Main Idea/detail activity in which detail sentences are matched with questions AND there is a “Fake Facts” category as a challenge!
• Answer Key
I hope your students have fun while practicing rigorous comprehension skills and strategies that will serve as a foundation for continued successful reading comprehension! If this product fits the instructional needs of your students, you may want to take a look at other products available in my store. Click on the links below!
strong>My Store! Amy Bratsos
Elephants Informational Text Comprehension
Polar Bears Informational Text Comprehension
Ladybugs Informational Text Comprehension
Gail Gibbons Informational Text Bundle