This CCSS aligned reading comprehension product is based on the informational text Bats written by Gail Gibbons. As emergent & beginning readers learn to decode simple text, it is extremely important that we keep them engaged in meaningful, rich language experiences with oral language to prepare them for comprehension success once they become fluent readers. Read aloud activities such as those found in this product provide great opportunities for language saturation! The activities in this packet are challenging for young children, so I recommend that most of them be done as guided lessons with plenty of modeling.
Included in this packet:
• “Before and After”- Recalling details from informational text and using text evidence to support responses- 2 versions are included for differentiation-one in which students write sentences to show text evidence and one in which students cut and glue text evidence;.
• Main Idea & Detail – guided lesson ideas on main idea followed by a cut & glue main idea/detail worksheet
• Some or All? – a higher level thinking activity in which students sort statements from the text to show traits that “all” bats exhibit and traits that ‘some” bats exhibit
• Comprehension Question Worksheet- 2 versions (each with 5 questions) are included for differentiation – one requires answers that can be found explicitly in the text and one in which inferences must be made &/or more than one section of text includes the answer to the question
• A Venn diagram in which bats are compared to birds
• A 10 word academic vocabulary word list with the following activities:
- “fill in the blank” sentences
- crossword puzzle (2 versions- one with and one without a Word Box)
- a game in which students listen to sentences with vocabulary used in context and give a “thumbs up��� or “thumbs down” after deciding if the statement is true or false
- analogies using vocabulary words
• an Answer Key
Students will have lots of fun learning about bats and gaining experience with comprehension strategies as they participate in the activities provided in this product! Please take a look at the preview to see actual samples from this product and please leave feedback, as I truly value the comments I receive from my colleagues as I continue to design instructional materials. Thank you!
If these materials meet the instructional needs of your students, you may want to take a look at my store, which features K-5th grade products in a variety of subject areas:
My TpT Store
Here are other informational text comprehension products with books by Gail Gibbons:
Informational Text Comprehension with Bats by Gail Gibbons
by Amy Bratsos
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License