Teacher Overview: This resource is intended for use as student practice the steps involved with determining Key Ideas and Details (CCSS Reading Anchor Standards 1-3) using the included texts. Strategically assigning these to students so that they focus on practicing the skill they are currently developing will help students develop and internalize that skill.
Aspects of Anchor Standards Covered: The Level 3 and higher “Level-Ups” collections of our student practice guides cover the following aspects of Anchor Standards 1-3:
• Close Reading and Text Based Inference;
• Citing Textual Evidence;
• Determining Main Ideas;
• Determining Central Ideas
• Analyzing how individuals, events, and ideas are developed over the course of a text
• It is strongly advised that you do not assign any step in this resource that you have not yet modeled and begun work on with your students or have not yet assessed your students on for proficiency.
o For resources on how to teach the skills involved with Close Reading and Text Based Inference; Citing Textual Evidence; Determining Main Ideas; and Determining Central Ideas, consider our Key Ideas & Details Lesson Pack or our individual lessons on each skill.
• We strongly warn against assigning any steps in these assignments beyond the skill on which each student is currently working to become proficient. This will help avoid pushing students into frustration. If implemented accordingly, this resource is a ready-made differentiation tool that allows each student focus on what they need to become proficient at next skill in determining key ideas and details.
• The ultimate goal is to gradually wean students off of “steps” outlined on sheets such as these and have them independently apply these skills to texts they read.
Offered by Informational Text and Content Literacy Shoppe
Formerly Common Core Content Literacy Shoppe