This Informational Text Mini-lesson is perfect for Reading and Language Arts teachers to use to teach students to read informational text or for Social Studies teachers to teach reading strategies though content area text!
This mini-lesson includes:
* An interactive powerpoint with historic photos of the integration of public schools and engaging activities.
* Powerpoint includes slides for the Informational Text and Research benchmarks that align to the FCAT Test Specifications but can be used to teach any state standards for informational text. The benchmarks are: Text Features, Validity and Reliability, Analysis and Evaluation, and Synthesis.
* Questions for each of the benchmarks aligned to the FCAT Test Specifications based on the landmark supreme court cases, Plessy v. Ferguson and Brown v. Board of Education.
* A passage called "The Education of Ruby Nell", formerly Ruby Bridges, questions, and answer key.
* The passage is formatted so that students add their own text features to make the text more "reader-friendly".
* Directions for a "Reading Review" Game
* A text-dependent writing prompt and learning scale
Informational Text Strategy Handout: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Informational-Text-Strategy-Handout-Turn-Facts-into-Knowledge-658996
Informational Text Mini-lesson: Text Features, Validity, Analysis, and Synthesis http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Informational-Text-Mini-lesson-Text-Features-Validity-Analysis-and-Synthesis-1159809