This informational text resource includes five magazine-style pages of non-fiction, or informational text, reading comprehension passages, each with text-based questions and a follow-up activity.
Each article includes:
- Informational text page - With short articles, a sidebar chart, and illustrations, these readings resemble a magazine page.
- One page of multiple choice questions - The questions are about text features, text structures, context clues, organizational elements, and comprehension of the informational text.
- One follow-up activity - some have an analyze and respond activity, and others have an activity about text features and text structures
You can see more details about each of these pages for all five articles in the preview.
The five reading pages, on a variety of topics sure to catch the interest of middle graders, are:
1. Coaster Chronicle - fun details, scientific facts, and safety information about these favorite amusement park rides
2. Pluto Times - short informational articles about Pluto and NASA's New Horizons mission
3. Mountain Messenger - skiing, snowboarding, hiking and mountain raptors!
4. Eclipse Gazette - eclipse know-how, from superstitions to facts to how to watch
5. Sports for Every Season - like a school sports newsletter featuring big school sports including soccer, baseball and softball, football and basketball
The Easel Activity is ready to use with answer boxes and directions already in place for student use.
These activities support Reading: Informational Text standards, especially those about using information from the text and text features to explain main ideas, details, and concepts.
For more informational text resources, see: Informational Text.
From Classroom in the Middle