Should stores be open on Thanksgiving Day? It is certainly a hot button topic this time of the year. In this resource, students will write their opinion and use evidence to support their ideas.
If you are like me, my students struggle to read informational text, let alone write about it. If you are in the same boat, look no further than this resource. Students are
asked to read facts, and two articles with varying viewpoints on a topic. Then, students will write their own opinion using evidence from both texts. This lesson covers some of the hardest Common Core Standards to teach and master.
* Quick facts about Thanksgiving day shopping
* Two articles that support and do not support Thanksgiving Day shopping.
* Comprehension questions that ask students to find and highlight evidence.
* Brainstorm/writing graphic organizer
* Paper to write their own opinion paper
* Grading rubric
* Answer keys and writing samples.
* Ideas on how to use in your classroom