With the new Common Core standards, we teachers have to make more room for informational texts.
This bundle can be used in two different ways.
1) Use the two articles and their corresponding questions as stand alone lessons or activities. These work great as articles of the week. Both take approximately the same amount of time (40-45 minutes)
2) Use this bundle from top to bottom as a three day unit.
This bundle is perfectly aligned with Reading Informational Texts CCSS: 9-10.1. Included in the the bundle are
-a pre-assessment, 1 page ready to print PDF (article about E-Smoking among Teens)
-A Keynote/PDF Lecture
-a post-assessment, 1 page ready to print PDF (article about the pollution problem in China)
Each portion can be used as a stand alone lesson or activity as well.
A teacher's guide is included. Here is the breakdown:
1. Pre-Assessment: Students read an article on e-smoking; you may choose to read independently or as a class. Students then answer questions aligned with R.I. 9-10.1 either alone or with a partner. This takes about 40-45 minutes. **This can be used as a stand alone activity.
2. Next is a Keynote (also in PDF version), breaking down standard R.I. 9-10.1 . This takes about 30 minutes.
3. Next is a series of practice exercises allowing students to practice the skills gained from the PowerPoint notes. Partners are recommended for this step. This takes about 30 minutes.
4. Finally, is a post-assessment article. Students will read an article on the pollution problem in China and answer questions aligned to R.I. 9-10.1. This takes about 45 minutes.
All handouts are in ready to print PDF formats and include a sleek, modern design sure to keep teenagers' attention.
DETAILED ANSWER KEYS are included for all steps.
These would be great educational fillers or great substitute plans as well.