Also included in
- Save oodles of time with this 5-week plan for teaching informative essay writing to your middle school students! Students will learn and practice the structure of text-based essays with these differentiated and interactive activities many of which are printable AND digital.What's included:✅ 5 weeksPrice $60.00Original Price $76.16Save $16.16
Use these task cards to help your middle school students practice the structure of a text-based essay tons of grading! The students will work in groups, review what they know about the parts of an essay, and even write an essay with this interactive and easy-to-use resource that is
1. Go through the essay writing process with the included writing prompt and texts with your students.
2. Place (tape) task cards on the desks in groups of 4 for the printable version and place students in breakout rooms for the digital version.
3. Have students work collaboratively to answer those task cards.
4. Students copy the complete answers on the answer sheets. (not just the answer choices because when they are done, they will have written an essay!)
5. As groups finish their set of 4 task cards, they rotate to a new group of 4 more task cards.
6. By the time they have filled in all 30 spaces on the answer sheet, they have a skeleton essay!
7. Then using the organizer/checklist, students mark where paragraphs should be on the skeleton.
8. Finally, students write out their essay on notebook paper (or special test paper) - not included. Every student should end up with the same essay as there is only 1 best answer per task card. This means EASY GRADING for you!
✅ Informative Writing Prompt
✅ TWO texts about Machu Picchu
✅ One Informative organizer/checklist
✅ Answer sheet
✅ THIRTY Task Cards
✅ Answers to the task cards and a fully filled-out answer sheet for the skeleton essay!
✅ Digital version using Google Forms
✅ Embedded prompt and text set in the form - also available in a separate file and linked in the form.
✅ Digital answer sheets
This entire process takes about a week of class (maybe more) but to have at least a week's worth of plans done? Plus, if your students are like mine, this will completely solidify their understanding of how an informative essay is organized.
Take a look at the preview!
TEACHERS LIKE YOU SAID...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Milca A. said, "My students were very engaged while we used this resource in class. Students loved collaborating with each other! Thank you for this resource."
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Debbie F. said, "This product will guide students to understand and recreate the essay writing process. For struggling students, it makes so much sense that they will be relieved and excited to write! For higher-level students, it will be a great refresher guide and basic reminder for how to write an essay correctly. Thank you so much!"
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Steeler's Fan said, "Okay, WOW! This is the perfect activity for my students to see how an essay is written and then they fill like they accomplished something by now having a completed essay. GREAT! Thank you."
Supports Common Core Standards:
Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
More great informative essay resources you'll LOVE:
➡️ DIGITAL Informative Essay Unit: NO PREP, DIGITAL lessons with TEN days of step-by-step VIDEO lessons, guided notes, texts, organizers, and more!
Having difficulty with a file?
Follow me to get 50% off for the first 24 hours of a new resource's release!
©Mrs. Spangler in the Middle (Elizabeth [Lisa] Spangler)
All rights reserved by the author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
Thanks, and Enjoy!