For this activity, students read an informative text first. Then they participate in a discussion circle following the rules of engagement below. This is a great alternative to Socratic Seminars. Perfect for AVID classes to promote W.I.C.O.R.
Rules of Engagement:
• All members are expected to participate. Each member may “pass” one time during the discussion and will not have to respond to one of the tasks on the discussion cards.
• Look at the person who is speaking.
• Talking sticks are passed around the circle in a clockwise manner.
• The person with the talking stick gets to speak.
• Alternate between circles. If someone from the outer circle speaks, then someone from the inner circle speaks next.
• A timer will be set for 4-5 minutes. When the timer goes off, another discussion card is selected or the group may vote to continue the current discussion.
• Pass the talking sticks around the circles until all members have had the opportunity to speak (if they choose to) before going on to the next discussion card.
Read the discussion cards aloud to the students. Give students 60 seconds to process the question by themselves. Reread the discussion card and let the students begin the discussion. Once all group members have had a chance to speak (or 5 minutes have passed), read the next discussion card and repeat the process. You may skip questions or reorder them. Continue until the end of the class period or the end of the time allocated for this activity.