Inheritance and Variation of Traits Science Stations for Third Grade Next Generation Science Standards include 8 different science stations where students can deepen their understanding of how plants and animals inherit various traits. The focus is on NGSS 3-LS3.A and 3-LS3.B and include concepts such plant identification, seed dispersal, changing leaves, animal survival and growth, classification of organisms, and warm-blooded and cold-blooded animals.
★ Save 25% by purchasing the Life Science Stations BUNDLE ★
► Vocabulary Cards
in two formats with and without pictures.
- Students watch a video about the Falling Leaves or How Dolphins Learn to Find Food and answer questions. Allow students to choose the video or have them do both.
- Students interact with a video game about the the changing temperature of crocodile eggs or learn how changing resources affect plant growth and survival. Each video has it’s own set of questions and task cards.
- Students investigate the how colors can be found within other colors and demonstrate how there are many colors in leaves.
- Students diagram how organisms are classified according to common traits.
► Read a Passage
- Students read a passage about how otters learn some traits from heir mothers and answer questions.
- Students model seed dispersal and chart the differences.
- Students explore the different traits of plants using an identification key.
- Students sort the warm-blooded and col-blooded vertebrates.
***Purchase all Third Grade Science Stations together in one large BUNDLE***
Each station includes four different ways to respond to the experience at the station: short answer questions, fill-in the blank questions, task cards with short answers, task cards with multiple choice. All the variations are similar to one another. Choose the format that best fits your classroom and students. Students are encouraged to use their science journal, but worksheets are included as well.
Some stations include two or more activity choices and extension activities.
Each station is designed to last about 15-20 minutes. Students may do one a day for 8 days, 2 a day for two days, or any format that works for your classroom. Because there are additional activities for the Watch and Play stations, you can offer those a choice within that station or offer them as an early finisher station, as well.
See the preview for additional information and details.
You might also be interested in our Plant and Animal Life Cycles
Connect with What I Have Learned
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. You will now receive customized email updates about this store.
Follow me at my BLOG
Sign up for my newsletter NEWSLETTER
Copyright © Jessica Boschen. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.