This third grade science print and digital bundle is a comprehensive science resource carefully designed with literally everything you need to teach NGSS and many state science standards for inherited traits, variation of traits, and life cycles all in one resource.
This resource aligns to NGSS standards 3-LS1-1, 3-LS3-1, 3-LS3-2, 3-LS4-2. It includes 21 days of in-depth, highly engaging science lessons and investigations on these topics:
- plant and animal life cycles
- patterns within life cycles
- inherited traits of plants and animals
- inherited behavior
- variation of traits
- traits influenced by environment
- how to write a scientific explanation
- related research project ideas
Each ready to teach lesson comes with an instructional PowerPoint, as well as a Google Slides version with narrated audio slides. Detailed, scripted lesson plans, response journal activities, differentiated quizzes, hands-on investigations and STEM lab activities are also included.
This third grade inherited traits unit includes 21 days of in-depth science lessons with vocabulary posters, guiding questions, and learning objectives display cards as well as videos for each lesson. Literacy and math based science centers make it easy to integrate science during your reading and math blocks if you wish to.
These lessons will have your students begging you for science!
Assessing each lesson is easy to differentiate using one of two quiz formats: the fill in the blank option or the short, written response format. At the end of the unit students are assessed with a comprehensive unit test with questions modeled after standardized tests that allow students to practice important skills while you assess learning.
All the activities are included in both a printable version and in digital format on Google Slides with narrated audio lessons.
The narrated audio lessons make it easy to differentiate the lessons and enable students to work independently. The interactive digital activities make it easy and engaging for students to practice and apply what they are learning.
· A complete Teacher’s Guide with a 21-day Pacing Guide that can be shortened to fit your schedule
· Standards alignment pages with NGSS for each lesson
· Teacher planning binder with cover and sections
· 21 Days of detailed, scripted lesson plans.
· 4 Hands-on investigations with guided lab procedures and step-by-step directions with photos.
· 2 Partner activity labs
· An in-depth Teaching Power Point to guide you through 21 engaging lessons with Turn and Talk partner discussion, Independent Activity slides and a slide introducing the Investigation for each lesson
· Interactive diagrams with moveable parts
· Science focus wall with essential question posters and learning target cards
· Student journal /workbook with activity pages to reinforce each lesson
· Vocabulary cards + full page vocabulary posters
· Quick Check/Exit Tickets in 2 formats for each lesson (short written response or fill in the blank) with answer keys
· Final Unit Test & Answer Key
· 4 Literacy and math-based science centers
· Related videos for each lesson
· Informational book list
· BONUS Inherited Traits bulletin board set
Digital resources included:
Narrated audio lessons on Google Slides
Lesson response journal activities on Google Slides
4 Self-grading quizzes on Google Forms
Self-grading unit test on Google Forms
5 Interactive science center games
Literacy & Math-Based Science Centers (in both print + digital)
· Science vocabulary
· Trait Sort
· Trait Variation Match
· Cause & Effect
· Fraction word problems
Lessons & Labs:
· Lesson 1.1 Life Cycles of Organisms
· Lesson 1.2 Animal Reproduction
· Activity 1.1 Observe the Darkling Beetle Life Cycle
· Lesson 1.3 Patterns Within Life Cycles
· Lesson 1 Lab: Compare Models of Life Cycles
· Lesson 2.1 Inherited Traits
· Activity 2.1 Observing Traits
· Lesson 2.2 Physical Traits
· Activity 2.2 Parents & Offspring
· Lesson 2.3 Patterns of inherited Traits
· Lesson 2 Lab: Investigate Traits in a Group of Related Animals
· Lesson 3.1 Trait Variations in Animals
· Lesson 3.2 Trait Variations in Plants
· Lesson 3 Lab: Creature Features Offspring Models
· Lesson 4.1 Traits Influenced By Environment
· Lesson 4. 2 Sunlight, Soil & Temperature
· Lesson 4 Lab: Investigate the Effects of Pollution
Please download the preview for more details.
for all third grade science units & bundles
Additional third grade science topics:
Click for DIGITAL science units.
Click for second grade science units.
Around the Kampfire