Also included in
- This science bundle for third grade covers the entire year! You save 20% by purchasing together! This NGSS Bundle for third grade is packed full of great lessons, investigations, labs, and close readings with nonfiction passages to meet the NGSS and CCSS standards for 3rd grade! Covers all NGSS stan$80.47$100.59Save $20.12
- This huge resource includes all of my resources for 3rd-grade NGSS Life Science. This collection of resources cover the life science standards for NGSS. Students will explore in hands-on, inquiry-based lessons. They will read nonfiction scientific passages in a close reading format. They will respo$41.12$51.40Save $10.28
- This third-grade science bundle includes all of my resources for third-grade NGSS,as well as third-grade resources for reading informational text. Save 20% by purchasing this huge bundle. Teachers and school districts will love this third-grade Huge NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers,$144.39$180.49Save $36.10
- Utah SEEd Third-grade Bundle This resource bundles all my 3rd-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? It also includes resources that address Utah Cor$113.32$141.65Save $28.33
- This bundle includes both my Printable Unit and my Distance Learning UnitInherited and Acquired Traits Printable UnitInherited and acquired traits for third grade. You will love this no-prep, ready to go unit on heredity, inherited traits, acquired traits, and more for third-grade science. Students$9.00$12.00Save $3.00
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 3rd grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 3rd grade. You save 20% by purchasing this bundle. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to k$60.84$76.05Save $15.21
- NGSS Third Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 3rd grade for the entire year. Students will love these engaging third-grade science lessons. Each unit meets one or more of the NGSS third-grade standards. Are you looking for resources made by someone who understands NGSS? I ha$76.48$95.60Save $19.12
Inherited and acquired traits for third-grade: Students will learn that traits can be influenced by the environment and that some traits provide an advantage to organisms. Some traits are inherited, some traits are acquired. Inherited traits may provide an advantage that can be passed on to offspring. This resource is aligned with the NGSS standards for 3rd grade 3-LS3-1, 3-LS3-2, and 3-LS4-2 You will love this no-prep, ready-to-go unit on heredity, inherited traits, acquired traits, and more for third-grade science. See more details on this unit on my blog Inherited and Acquired Traits
This resource includes:
- a slide show
- response pages
- task cards
- sorting cards
- answer keys
This is a low-prep resource that is ready to print and use. This is a printable unit. If you are looking for a digital unit on the same topic click here Inherited and Acquired Traits Online Unit 3-LS3-1, 3-LS3-2 and 3-LS4-2
This resource addresses the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas of Heredity: Inheritance and Variation of Traits and Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity.
These three standards are fully addressed through this resource. This is a great introduction to genetics and heredity.
See more ideas for teaching about inherited and acquired traits.
This is my most popular resource!
3-LS3-1 Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence that plants and animals have traits inherited from parents and that variation of these traits exists in a group of similar organisms.
3-LS3-2. Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
3-LS4-2.Use evidence to construct an explanation for how
the variations in characteristics among individuals of the same species may provide advantages in surviving, finding mates, and reproducing.
Also addresses Utah SEEd for third grade.
Utah SEEd Standard 3.2.2
Analyze data and identify patterns to provide evidence that plants and animals have traits inherited from parents. Examples of patterns could include the similarities and differences in traits between parent organisms and offspring and variation of traits in groups of similar organisms.
Utah SEEd Standard 3.2.3
Construct an explanation supported by evidence that the environment can affect the traits of an organism. Examples could include normally tall plants grown with insufficient water are stunted and pets that are given too much food and little exercise may become overweight.
Utah SEEd Standard 3.2.4
Construct an explanation supported by evidence for how variations in traits and behaviors can affect the ability of an individual to survive and reproduce. Examples of traits could include a plant with large thorns or strong smelling flowers and an animal’s camouflage, thick fur, or ear length. Examples of behaviors could include animals living in groups, shivering or using the sun for warmth, or migrating with changes of the season.
For NGSS 3rd Grade
Next Generation Science Standards
Science Concepts Addressed Include:
Supporting Claims with Evidence
Making arguments from Evidence
Science and engineering practices used by students include:
Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
Developing and using models
Planning and carrying out investigations
Analyzing and interpreting data
Constructing explanations for science
Engaging in argument from evidence
Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
This resource is also available for purchase in a huge bundle at 20% off 3rd Grade Science Lesson Bundle
Also available for purchase within
By Lynda R. Williams
Please note that the slide shows and pages are not editable. They are secure and protected by copyright. This resource is created by Teaching Science with Lynda R. Williams
If you have questions about my resources please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Please see my other resources for third grade