Initial Blends Games
- Four in a Row - sw, sm, sn, wr, sp, spr, str, tw, kn, th, sh, ch
This Four In a Row initial blends phonics game combines strategic thinking with the learning of initial consonant blends and a little fun.
You will Need
1 game board printed and laminated
1 die (yes die is the singular, dice is the plural)
Colored counters for each player e.g. Player 1 = red Player 2 = green.
How to Play
1. Player 1 rolls the die and reads a word from the board with the same number as shown on the die.
2. Player 1 places a colored counter on the word if read correctly.
3. Player 2 then repeats Steps 1 and 2.
4. Play continues in the turn-a-bout fashion until a player gets 4 counters in a row either vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
How to Win
Be the first player to get 4 counters in a row either vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
Tips and Hints
• The game works best with two player game.
• The game can be played without a die - children simply choose a word to read.
• Try playing best of three – it helps to reinforce the words.
Words on Boards
Four in a Row - Board 1 - Initial Blends - sw, sm & sn
swamp, swan, sway, swarm, sweet, swing, swim, swoop swift, swag, swap, swing, swing, swoop, swift, swag, swap, swirl, smart, smash, smear, smell, smile, smoke, smooth, smudge, smog, small, smug, smirk, snack, snail, snap, sniff, snore, snow, snug, snarl, snatch, sneeze, snooze, sneak.
Four in a Row - Board 2 - Initial Blends - wr, sp & spr
wrinkle, wrist, write, writer, wrong, wrestle, wren, wring, wrap, wrapper, wrench, wreck, space, spade, speak, spear, special, speech, speed, spell, spill, spin, spine, spoke, sprain, sprawl, spray, spread, spring, sprinkle, sprinkler, sprint, sprinter, sprig, spree, sprout.
Four in a Row - Board 3 - Initial Blends - str, tw & kn
strap, straw, strain, stray, stream, street, string, strip, stripe, strand,
stress, strong, tweet, twelve, tweezers, twenty, twice, twig, twins, twine, twist, twitter, twang, tweak, knee, kneel, knock, knuckle, knife, knit, knight, knot, know, known, knob, knoll.
Four in a Row - Board 4 - Initial Blends - th, sh & ch
thank, thatch, thaw, theft, thief, there, these, thick, then, thigh, thin,
thing, shade, shadow, shaft, shaggy, shake, share, shark, sharp, shave, she, shed, sheep, chain, chair, change, chant, chapter, charge, charm, chart, chase, chat, cheap, check. .
Included in this Download
4 Full Color Boards
4 Low Color Boards
1 PowerPoint file with all the Color boards for easy display and discussion.
1 set of game rules
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)
PS Special thanks goes to Ron Leishman
for letting me use his monsters to create this game.