Not only does this unit tackle everything your students need to know about the states of matter, but it also integrates 3rd grade literacy, research, and measurement concepts! I designed this unit so that my students would be thinking critically while engaged in cross-curricular lessons. I've mapped out each day's suggested lesson plan for a total of 4 weeks of lessons in an easy to follow format.
Your download includes:
- 4 weeks of easy to follow (suggested) lesson plans
- List of suggested read alouds with title and author
- 15 Vocabulary/Word Wall Cards
- Student Glossary to keep track of all that new vocabulary!
- Partner Picker a tool that ensures your students are grouped in different partnerships throughout the entire unit
- Matter Magic - A fun experiment to get your scientists excited about matter!
- Matter Tri-Venn Diagram
- Properties of Matter printable
- Balance This! - An activity that engages students in balancing equations as they visualize molecules in different states of matter.
- How Does Temperature Affect Matter? - Have your students RESEARCH about ice cream and then explore melting and freezing points as you make your own together.
- Does Gas Take Up Space? - 3 hands-on experiments in 1 lesson!
- Students will collect data and represent that data in BAR GRAPHS
- Measuring to the nearest INCH and 1/2 INCH
- Measuring with GRAMS and KILOGRAMS
- Measuring with LITERS and MILLILITERS
- The Land of Gallon
- Mid-unit check up with answer key
- Final Assessment with answer key