Your students will be all abuzz about insects with this week-long study! The comprehensive unit includes detailed daily lesson plans with literature suggestions. It integrates science, reading, writing, math, handwriting, and art. There are also links to YouTube videos that fit in perfectly as well.
Click on the PREVIEW to read each lesson plan, see the Week-at-a-Glance planning sheet, as well as examples of printables and art projects.
Teacher Features You'll Love:
• Detailed daily lesson plans
• Week-at-a-glance planning guide
• Key concepts and objectives
• Extensive literature list
• Video links and QR codes
• Activity directions and printable templates
• Answer keys
What's Covered in the Unit?
Day One: What is an Insect? (Characteristics of Insects)
• Know, Wonder, Learn sheet
• Parts of an Insect song
• Insect writing craftivity
• Insect/Not an Insect sort
Day Two: Life Cycle of an Insect (Focus: Butterfly)
• Butterfly life cycle craft (2 options)
Day Three: Why are Insects Important? (Focus: Bees)
• “You Won’t Bee-lieve This” writing craftivity
• Pollination party
Day Four: Insect Adaptations
• Insect adaptations video I created specifically for this unit
• Dragonfly in Disguise camouflage activity
• Insect Inventor writing activity
Day Five: Insect Fun
• Review information from the unit
• Potato-stamped ladybugs or Ants at a Picnic craft
• Bug hunt
• Counting within 100
• Addition to 20
• Subtraction to 20
• Word problems
• Measuring with nonstandard units
• Time to the hour and half hour
• Beginning sounds
• -ug family words
• Read and draw insect words
• Making words with letters in "ladybug"
• Sight word story
• Close reading passage
• Compound words
• Opinion writing
• Sticker story
• ABC order
• 2 Emergent readers (in b&w and color)
• 20 Word wall cards
Questions? Please feel free to contact me through the "Q & A" tab or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to check out my other week-long units HERE!
Thanks so much for stopping by!