Fun for End of Year review! Inspire: A Sketch Art and Writing Journal was designed to facilitate students’ written, visual, and artistic expression of emotions and thoughts as well as provide for students an interesting review of the parts of speech. Included in this resource are 24 brainstorming exercises which precede each of the 24 writing prompts for journal writing. The activities in this journal provide inspirational topics for writing, review the parts of speech, promote creativity through written and artistic expression, appeal to students’ varied learning styles, offer differentiation and student choice, and meet Common Core Standards. This resource is most appropriate for Grades 4-9.
Below are eight options for use in the classroom:
1. Use the journal as a supplementary resource in a parts of speech unit.
2. Use it to review the parts of speech.
3. Use the activities to encourage students to write with the secondary focus being that students will be exposed to a review of the parts of speech as they complete the journal writing activities.
4. Use the journal as an extension activity as students finish their work.
5. Use it five or ten minutes at the beginning of class as a bell ringer activity.
6. Use it in a literacy center.
7. Use it as a supplemental section in an interactive notebook.
8. Use it for a back to school parts of speech review as well as a way to get to know students.
Included in this resource are the following:
*24 visual/artistic /sketch art brainstorming exercises, which precede journal writing
*24 journal prompts organized by and featuring the 8 parts of speech
*24 opportunities to apply the 8 parts of speech in a creative way, artistically and in writing
*Differentiation in the form of student choice
*A rubric and grading scale
*A student checklist to help students monitor their work
*Common Core Standards
*Outline of activities for the teacher and students
A preview is available.