Included are enrichment choice board activities for each leveled reader topic in the Inspire Science books for 1st Grade. These activities can work for any lexile in the series, though it's recommended for enrichment.
You have 2 options: Print only the first choice board pages and have students answer the questions on paper/in a notebook, or print each page to make it into a packet, which includes areas to write the answers.
This is a great way to incorporate writing, comprehension and phonics into science!
Activities for each book include:
Each book contains the following skills. The
- Draw the vocabulary words
- Example: Write down 3 things in your classroom that you can push and 3 things you can pull
- Unscramble the vocabulary words
- Locate phonics skill words (Ex: Find and write 5 words from the book that have a long vowel sound)
- Answer a skill based comprehension question (Ex: What is the main topic of this book? Use one detail that supports the topic from the book)
- Example: Write an informational paragraph about a time when you used MOTION to PUSH or PULL. Think about the sports you play, or what you at school.
- Search & Paste It! Find examples of the Science skill in magazines and label each photo telling how it shows "motion" (for example)
- Question It! What is one question, curiosity, or wonder you have about this topic after reading the book? *This is a perfect way to enrich even more by allowing students to research/find the answers to their questions!
The only extra material you need are magazines, because one of the activities for each requires them to locate pictures.
Inspire Books this matches:
- Water Habitats
- The Four Seasons
- Wait and See
- World of Animals