Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, Dividing Integers. Opposites, Absolute Values, and Word Problems also:
Integer Indulgence indeed; 84 pages of materials that provide a unique, entertaining, and efficient way to teach EVERYTHING related to integers. Ideal for any pre-algebra or algebra course, or any common core based math class in which integers are taught. On the first day of the unit, students are introduced to Mr. Number Line. He has a really wide head, he has lots and lots of teeth … some say they go on forever in both directions, he is happy (positive) half of the time and unhappy (negative) half of the time, he is incredibly useful in doing in all kinds of math, and he is always there for you … everybody loves Mr. Number Line! Mr. Number Line, Integer Poetry, and other proven teaching methods are incorporated into warm-up and exploration activities and associated worksheets, grouped into nine different teaching sections, to ensure students learn and retain these concepts forever. Follow these instructions and use the various materials step-by-step, and your students will not only learn how to properly utilize integers to solve problems, but be well-prepared for future introduction to positive and negative rational numbers and solving algebraic equations.
This product is broken up into nine different sections:
– Students meet Mr. Number Line and are introduced to Integer Poetry. These are used to convey plotting, comparing, and ordering integers. Includes a warm-up activity, two-page exploration activity, poetry, and a two-page worksheet.
Opposites and Absolute Values
– Students use Mr. Number Line and more Integer Poetry to master integer opposites and absolute values. Includes a warm-up activity, a two-page exploration, poetry, and a two-page worksheet.
– Students use Mr. Number Line to determine the rules for adding positive and negative integers, learn the associated poetry, and move on to application in the associated worksheet. Includes a warm-up activity, a two-page exploration, poetry, and a two-page worksheet.
– Students use Mr. Number Line and inverse properties of addition and subtraction to reason to the rules for subtracting integers. Includes a warm-up activity, a two-page exploration, poetry, and a two-page worksheet.
– Students model multiplication as repeated addition and use the properties of opposites to quickly recognize the rules for multiplying integers. Includes a warm-up activity, a two-page exploration, poetry, and an associated worksheet.
– Students walk through a number of examples that use inverse properties of multiplication and division to establish that the rules for multiplication and division are identical. Includes a warm-up activity, a two-page exploration, poetry, and associated worksheet.
Integer Word Problems
– Students review how to solve word problems by drawing and labeling pictures and setting up and evaluating appropriate integer expressions. Students then tackle the ever-popular “Airplane, Shark, etc.” worksheet in which they follow the adventures of Sammy the shark, drawing appropriate pictures and solving integer word problems as they go.
“Putting it All Together” Worksheet
– A four-page comprehensive review of all of the concepts learned in this unit.
Integer Unit Assessment
– A four-page final assessment that can also be used as a pre-assessment.
Good luck as you indulge yourself and your students with integers!
If your students are not familiar with how to execute operations with positive numbers only
in the correct order, you may want to go through part or all of Order of Operations Inundation
to address numerical expressions and PEMDAS prior to tackling integers.
If you would like your students to move from numerical expressions to algebraic expressions
, take a look at Express Yourself - The Complete Unit
. This 100-page product guides students through evaluating, writing, and simplifying expressions in a real-world context.
Finally, if you would like your students to move from algebraic expressions to algebraic equations, take a look at the free product, Equation Terminology Puzzles
, which introduces students to the language associated with algebraic equations. More algebraic equation products are currently in the works.
Feel free to check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Equation Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Probability Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.