I am so excited to share this week of integrated science and phonics lesson plans!
The lessons integrate science, poetry, and phonics and are centered around a poem. The poem can be used to help teach the science standard and uses multiple r-blend words.
This product includes lesson plans and all the printables you will need to conduct the week of lessons. There is also a large print version of the poem available so you can put it in pocket chart for a center or paste it to chart paper so you don't have to write the poem.
I made these integrated phonics and science units to maximise instructional time. I hope that you love them as much as I do!
Want more mini units?
I am working on creating a full year of integrated science and phonics units for first grade. Each week will cover a different phonics sound. Some of the science standards will be covered over multiple weeks, but most will be covered in one week. I have alighned the units to cover my districts science and phonics pacing guides.
Week 1: Five Senses and Short A
Week 2: Sorting Objects by Properties and Short E
Week 3: Sorting Objects by Properties and Short I
Week 4: Magnifiers and Short O
Week 5 Poem: Night Sky and Short U (Free Preview)
Week 5: Night Sky and Short U (Full version of the free product)
6. (l-blends bl, cl, fl) Jobs of te Sun
7. (l-blends) Be Safe in the Sun
8. (r-blends) Law of Gravity <-- This unit
9. (s-blends)Law of Gravity
10. (s-blends)Properties of materials (sort by observable properties - color, shape, size, weight, texture, material)
11. (endings: -nd, -nt, -nk, -ng) Properties of materials (sort by observable properties - material: wood, glass, metal, and rubber)
12. (endings: -ft, -lt, -lp, -mp) Water Safety
13. (3 letter blends) Water Safety - life jackets
14. (CVCa) Earth's Surface (Everything on Earth belongs to one of four spheres. Earth's spheres are land, water, living things, and air.)
15. (CVCi) Earth's Surface - (label for each kind of source material: plant, trees, animal, metal, or sand)
16. (CVCo) Fast and Slow Changes to the Earth's Surface (hurricanes, erosion: dirt track) - use time lapse videos
17. (CVCu) Fast and Slow Changes to the Earth's Surface
18. (Double Consonants - substituted skill) Fast and Slow Changes to the Earth's Surface
19. (-ck) Living and Non-living Things
20. (ch & sh) Observe living things
21. (th & wh) Needs of living things (eat, water, ...
22. (ai & ay) needs of living things
23. (oa, ow, oe) Parts of a plant (grow a plant)
24. (ee & ea) parts of a plant (track growth)
25. (long i: ie, igh, iCC) Match Parents with Offspring (plants and animals)
26. (y as a vowel) Match Parents with Offspring (plants and animals)
27. (ar) Growing Sunflower Sprouts
28. (ir, er, ur) Parts of a Plant / plants and animals resemble their parents
29. (or, ore, oar, oor) Parts of a Plant / plants and animals resemble their parents
30. (eer, ear) Parts of a Plant / plants and animals resemble their parents
31. (air, are, ear) How Things Move (things move with a push or a pull: fast or slow, back and forth, round and round, slide, pull, zip-zag, push) - mini lesson: act out the different ways
32. (oo, ew, ue) How Things Move
33. (ou, aw, al, ough) How Things Move
34. (oo, oul, ucc) Forces - push/ pull
35. (ou & ow) Forces - push/ pull
36. (oi & oy) Forces - push/ pull