This is a handout I give to my students during the writing process. This handout covers the basics of how to integrate quotes into students' writing smoothly and effectively.
This handout is three pages and covers the following:
- What a floating quote is (a quote unconnected to the surrounding text) and examples.
- Using "snippets" as opposed to full quoted sentences.
- How to integrate longer quotes with colons, commas, or signal words/phrases
- Examples of integrated quotes
- Example signal words
- Guidelines on how to omit text from quotes, alter wording/grammar if necessary, use block quotes